Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Camp David




Last summer, besides helping to design the Hydrogen Fueling Station that is over near Frat Row, I was able to spend some time out at Camp David.  It was such a neat time out there, and I got to meet some really special guys.  All the campers there come from families whose parent or parents are in prison.  They really need to know the love of Christ and have a role-model to look up to.  It was so neat getting to talk to the kids about Christ.  For a whole week, I and my co-counselor became like parents to the kids.  We had to enforce their bedtimes.  We made sure that they made their beds; we fought away bugs and moths (they are terrified of moths); we slept in the same covered wagons as they did; we ate at the same table; and, for a whole week, we really were able to become good friends with them.

I and my co-counselor had the pleasure of being in charge of the youngest group of guys both in Senior Boys week and Junior Boys week.  There was one particular story that I wrote down recounting how precious they can be at that age and how much tough, young, street-smart guys can learn about Christ.  This is an account of a time during Junior Boys week when I was counseling with Sir John.  Little Jonathan was around 9 or 10 years old, was fun-loving, and was full of energy!  For some reason, he asked Sir John, "How do you talk to God?"  Sir John proceeded to explain to young Jonathan about how we talk to God and how He talks to us.  I was away from the wagon helping our other campers get ready for the rest of the day.  When my campers and I returned, Jonathan told the other campers excitedly, "I just learned how to talk to God!"  In the morning, Jonathan said to Sir John or me, "God talked to me today.  He [God] said, 'God is very big, but He is nice.'  He talked to my heart!!"  Jonathan later asked one of us if God was married! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment